Thursday, July 15, 2010

A Million in Won: So Many Places, So Little Time



A Million in Won
When I was contemplating a new job and career teaching English for one year in South Korea people told me that one-year went by very quickly. Well, it definitely felt like a blur; going from one thing to the next, one class to the next, one day to the next, one train to the next.

Things did not work out in this position at this school. I'm not going to get in to what happened or why things happened that way. Things just happen in this life. You take the best out of your experience and be a better person. That's what she said. If anyone wants to know, we can discuss it in person or through separate email.

The Kids Are Alright

I enjoyed the teaching experience. I feel like I did a great job, not knowing and still not knowing what type of teacher I am.

Teaching kindergarteners is something I never thought I would do. It was okay. I am open to that experience again. They were a very unruly bunch at our school.

Every time your back was turned gave them all sorts of ideas. But I liked seeing the older kids' eyes light up when they learned something interesting. There were students that were very enthusiastic in learning about the world. Those students were the most fun to teach.

I decided to try to find another job while already there in South Korea. Schools wouldn't have to pay for my flight there. I gave myself a few weeks to find a job and then I would have to plan on going home. When my time working at the school would end mid-July, my Visa sponsorship would be over and my apartment would be mine no longer.

So, I asked around the few people in South Korea I knew about leads. I asked my family since my sister had taught here a decade ago. I was working with a few new recruiters as almost all of the schools today use recruiting firms to acquire teachers.

So Many Places, So Little Time

I may not have met a lot of people, but I sure went to a lot of places.

Knowing early on that I would not be enjoying a year long adventure, I decided to fit a year's worth of touring into one month. I observed and immersed myself into Seoul's trendy areas; Itaewon, Insadong, Hongdae and Gangnam. I visited many great museums and some beautiful palaces, temples and fortresses. The Seoul Tower was very cool. One day I traveled with a tour group to the DMZ and stepped over the line into North Korea. That was amazing!

I had a 'million and won' chance of a lifetime to live and work in South Korea. I loved almost every minute of it. Well, I guess I even loved the time I had with the kindergarteners. "Paul, sit in your chair!"

My flight home was actually kind of nice as I was bumped up to Business Class for free. I probably would have enjoyed more if this was one year later. In felt sad leaving the school and then leaving the country. Who knows? Maybe I'll be back.
Oh, home for now is in Las Vegas, Nevada...with Mom & Dad.

This is definitely not the end of this blog. There are more stories coming. Look out for a blog about "The Package."

1 comment:

  1. I hope that your Korea adventure will continue again, and with an even better job!

    ReplyDelete